stxhunter,

]Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm always trying to learn from the firsthand knowledge of owners, attack victims, trainers, so as to help others.

You mentioned,
"a blade between the ribs would work quick, I once cut a pit down to the neck bone that attacked my chow with a machete, he ran off a few days later i seen him all happy recovering at his home."

Sounds like you saved your dogs life since the strike accomplished the goal. Machetes are easy to reshape.
A piercing tip can be ground so you can thrust and penetrate ribs easier.

You said,
"always knew what i'd do if a dog attacked me and i was bare handed."

You have the rare benefit of working with your Chow and coming out better than me. My hand had become pretty much useless when my friend' s chow focused on it. There was internal damage to muscle tissue, tendon, cartilage.

"my pit attacked me, he got the short end of the stick, I had a crushed finger and a lot of stitches in my hand but he died."

It sounds like your pitt bull got your finger bad.

That's what I've seen intervening in dog fights and training. They are quick and I like reach, distance and a sharp edge that can double if necessary to use the flat or spine if your concerned about hitting your own dog. Glad you survived and no doubt better for the experience.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/06/20.