My sister-in-law (my wife's sister) is estranged from her 34-year old son (my nephew), his wife, and 2 grandkids. This son is my SIL's only child. She was divorced when the son was about 2-years old and she raised him on her own, worked her rear off, had him in private schools. Was a great mother to him. He met this selfish, whacked-out girl in college, got married a year after graduation. He's an engineer, wife a nurse. Smart people. His job has moved him to several different cities in the Midwest and Ohio valley areas. My SIL would occasionally visit. Long story short, there were a few family incidents/problems that arose and the daughter-in-law basically drove my nephew and his mom apart. The family lives in Pennsylvania and my SIL in Missouri and they have forbidden my SIL from seeing her grandkids (ages 10 and 8) basically, forever. I can't really comprehend how an adult child can turn on his parent and do and say the things he has to her; basically, she cries herself to sleep every night. A 64-year old grandmother who can never see or even have any communication with her grandchildren. Very sad. I pray that the son will have a change of heart and the courage to do the right thing and forgive and forget. At least maybe when the grandkids are old enough to be on their own things will change but who knows if my SIL will still be alive at that point....