I think these upper-case-O Orthodox folks get the idea:
https://pemptousia.com/2016/12/proper-attire-in-the-house-of-god/
...The Church is our home, a place where we should feel comfortable, and at ease. It is also God’s house and is a temple set aside for worship of the Holy Trinity. Although times have changed and we have become a very casual society, this attitude can not be allowed to influence how we dress to worship God...

...Our way of dressing for church should reflect our desire to offer our very best to Christ. Just as we want to act in ways that demonstrate the centrality of Christ in our lives, our dress should show forth the modesty that is befitting a Christian.

Just as we take special care to dress for formal social occasions, or job interviews, how much more important it is to show our respect for God’s house. If we were invited to the wedding of our boss’s daughter, we’d make sure to show respect to our employer by dressing our best. Does God deserve anything less?

We should wear clothes that are modest and befitting a Christian...

...Both men and women should avoid wearing clothing that can be distracting to other worshipers. Just as we want to keep our focus on the divine services, so too we must not be the cause of the distraction for our fellow Christians....

For the TL;DR sorts, dress well/up as you would for other social occasions that call for such, to the limit of your capability, and in a way not to be distracting.

At our church that runs from what I would call "western dressy" (nice blue jeans, button down shirt, shined boots) to dressy-casual, through to suit & tie. Most all are somewhat up-dressing relative to day-to-day.

And even that is subject to internal and external duties. One lady gets off or goes on to nursing duty and wears scrubs. Folks volunteering to prepare a fellowship meal after church dress down to get the work done and not ruin their nice clothes. Some get to other work directly after church.

I used to wear a button-down shirt & tie, but have taken to wearing an un-tucked shirt, tie-less. That was after some pointed inquiries as to whether I had a CHL after a discussion regarding church security and some incidents. The Board did not want to institute a formal security plan, but were interested as to how many men packed heat at each service and in the Sunday school classes--to include those for the kids. I got the hint (wink, nudge) and went from ankle or pocket carry of my snubbie to IWB 1911, GM or CDR + 2 reloads depending on my mood. Thus, the slight relaxation of my previous sartorial arrangements.

In sum, dress to show some respect, show some understanding, and don't be a distraction.

Originally Posted by Reba
GOD does not care.

Until He does. He tells us he is a jealous God and we are to glorify Him. Showing up slovenly with BO--when you can do better--is something most folk would not do in day-to-day social situations. Why should church get less attention or respect and effort than your fellow man? Should we sin more to make grace abound?

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by slumlord
Good suits at Goodwill

They should pay me for that

Ha! Yes, I have heard that before.

Apparently......no one my size ever upgraded suits, or died owning one.

Gave some of my older nice clothes to a hard luck working man a few years back. He was a good 3XL and had zero luck finding low-cost indoor/office work clothes to interview for more indoorsy jobs after being laid off from the building trades. Was told directly by one employer, "Come back dressed for the job and I'll give you an interview." He was wearing his usual quality work clothes for the trades. Don't know if he got the job, but he had the clothes, from boots to button-down shirt when i got finished with him. A good learning experience for the kiddos, too. "Give generously, but use discernment."

Originally Posted by Remsen
Since it was raining, I put on the waterproof gear I use for duck hunting (not waders, of course, cause that would have been weird) and I was among my people.

That bit surely tickled my funny bone.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers