Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I went to church the other day, 7500'+ in the mountains

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I wore my wool britches and moccasins

Is the Vienna sasauge can lids folded over on the toes? Keep the cactus out your toenails?

On topic,

Haven’t been to a church service in many years, other than a rare wedding or funeral.

On topic, when necessary for the wedding, Christening , funeral type deals I will wear long pants (even in summer frown ), a button up shirt with a collar ( frown frown ) and actual pull on boots (not of the Apache variety seen above frown frown frown )

Big Dave, and anyone else wondering, the moccasins are made by me, from a pattern made by an old White Mt Apache lady, who took apart her mother's "boots" which were made sometime in the late 1800's/ early 1900's. Can't see it from here, but the legs of the boots come up to my thigh, the pair was made from a single deerskin except the soles which are cattle hide. The toe thing is traditional to their boots, and is VERY handy at protecting the toes. It is cut that way from the piece making up the sole and when sewn to the legs the thread is pulled tight to make them curl back. Walking through "wait a minute" acacia, NM locust, and other thorny stuff, being able to pull up the legs is a real help. The decorative camouflage painting is mine. I didn't want to do something offensive to the culture, most of the folks making them were decorating them "fancy" for pow wows, so I asked the lady. She said "they're your boots, paint them any way you want".

My maker approves of me wearing them when I go to the wild places we like to meet away from town for informal restorative talks for the soul.

PS, if you look closely behind the Apache boots, you can see a pair of the White Man's Red Wing boots too. My maker approves of those also.

PPS, on the odd occasion, my maker has even approved of me going unshod, as when I walked the dogs to the wild place behind the house the other day.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?