Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I ask the estimator how much to paint the whole car; 5k-7k was the answer.
Needless to say we declined.

That's CHEAP. If his work looks good that's real CHEAP. A quality paintjob with minimal bodywork aside from prepping the surface should run well over 10k.

Which is crazy when one thinks about it. A new compact or slightly bigger car can be had for +/- $ 25-30K. With a quality paint job already applied, that with decent care will last 15 years or so before the clear coat dies.

I'm not going to believe the car makers are spending anywhere near $10K for a paint job. Even given their production quantities, $4k is way over what they are spending.

I know what it will cost, as I have a friend in the body shop biz, and new paint and clear coat on my 20 year old Tacoma would be $4-7K he said. A few dings in it, but within the last couple of years the clear coat has gone bad and the windblown area at the top of the windshield is getting down through the actual paint.

Last truck we had, an '86 2wd Toyota, got the rattle can job once it's paint got really bad. Sometimes not a rattle can either, some spots got hit with a brush and whatever silver/gray paint was laying around the place. I'm guessing my relatively nice looking one is in for the same treatment soon.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?