Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I'm not going to believe the car makers are spending anywhere near $10K for a paint job. Even given their production quantities, $4k is way over what they are spending.

I know what it will cost, as I have a friend in the body shop biz, and new paint and clear coat on my 20 year old Tacoma would be $4-7K he said. A few dings in it, but within the last couple of years the clear coat has gone bad and the windblown area at the top of the windshield is getting down through the actual paint.

I doubt it costs the manufacturers more than a couple hundred to paint a vehicle but it's an apples to oranges comparison. They're painted by robots on the production line before anything else is installed. The body panels are brand new and straight from the stamping dies, there aren't any dings to repair. Most of the work for a body shop guy is involved in getting the vehicle back to the stage where the manufacturer started.

Yes, I alluded to all that in my post.

It still doesn't make sense for a "non-custom" paint job to cost anywhere near $5,000. At $100 an hour shop time, average in our neighborhood, that's at least 40 hours labor and a $1000 for paint and materials.

As I said, Crazy.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?