Originally Posted by iskra

Hi! Don’t know exactly where you’re going or what your intentions, your budget or projected costs to ‘put it right’ in the new chambering proposed. In other words, I’m largely in the dark. And so! To speak in generalities. First, my prejudices. I do like the 9.3x62 and have a quite nice Husqvarna Model 640, FN actiona based rifle in that chambering. So, you’re talking my sort of thing! smile But, that said…

My more than several Enfield conversions from another era. One where labor was cheap, such conversions common and with market. Nowadays a whole other ball game. Don’t know whether your speaking about reboring and leaving matter at that. Or any further ‘civilizing’.

My first inclinatin to say that a 20” barrel very questionable in terms of the 9.3 potential. I’d not do it unless something exotic such as Mannlicher carbine. Just not to get full ‘money’s worth’ potential from such barrel. So what about rebarreling? Again, costs???

The bottom line, whatever conversion, sounds like you have an, excuse me, plastic stocked utility rifle. Rechambering – whatever necessary – you’ll still have such rifle. If you’re good with that, fine. Concerning ‘value added’, likely not to extent of investment. My bottom line, economic… No. Ringing your chimes… Only you to decide! A small buying streak in the eighties where I picked up most of my P17 Enfied sporters. All, on the cheap. Large, heavy and not modern. I could appreciate them, but that at average of $150-$200 a pop. I like the cock on closing just fine, I’d not convert. I also like the ‘one-extra’ mag capacity, but it makes for a deep mag and most “sporter’ definitions required the bottom metal be straightened and mag box cut. Don’t know how your B&C worked out with “as issued”.

My one 9.3x62 rifle, Husqvarna Model 640/FN mauser action. A sweet rifle, pix below. I gave $300 for it about 2005 or so. Not D&T for scope as I prefer this model! More are D&T and no extra value=added. I believe perhaps $400-$500 such Husky in our desired 9.3x62 could yet be had. These Huskys sleepers for some years and yet bit of such still. Were I to build from an action, I’d certainly use a pre 64 Win 70 to springboard from there.

Just my take!

Best & Stay Safe!
John

First off, there's no such thing as a "P17". You must be thinking of the Pattern 14 or "P14". Secondly, the OP is wanting to send his rifle to JES here in Oregon for a simple rebore. They do excellent work and are very inexpensive. Last I saw, they charge around $250.00 for a simple rebore such as this. Also, if the op wants a 21" barreled 9.3x62mm, there's no problem with that. Again, I'd like to see pics of the rifle. Good threads have good pics. My suggestions earlier are not necessary, but help to modernize this old war horse. The m1917 may not have the sex appeal of the pre 64 model 70, but can be made to be a damn good sporter when some changes are made to them. I would never suggest to the op to look for a pre 64 model 70 to convert. I'd much rather leave those all original, than devalue them with a re-bore such as this. Iskra, those pics are small. I didn't even notice them. Here are a few good pics of some sporter m1917 enfields and factory sporterized BSA's:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The OP has a good platform to have re-bored. I think its a great idea, if he wants a good medium bore rifle. I played around with the 9.3x62mm for a while, shot elk with it and it worked as intended, but so does a good 30-06 with the right bullets.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA