Originally Posted by Pugs
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is what mining reclaimed done right looks like

This is close to the the same place in 1971 looking a little to the north.

Very cool, Pugs, and thanks for the info. Our family a property in the Pennsylvania Appalachians. My parents (city folk) bought it over 50 years ago. For the first couple decades the locals were pretty standoffish and we had burglaries and tree thefts. We lost a washer, a dryer, a tractor and other items. In the past 25 years, we haven't really had any problems. I think the locals know who we are and the territorial ones have aged out. We are on friendly terms with some of the old timers. Also, we get up there much more often these days (some family member is there almost every weekend) since I have a number of siblings and the road improvements have made the ride a lot shorter.

Your family's property looks awesome. I like the wall tent idea. I used a tent the first couple years that I owned my property out of state (not the one in Pennsylvania that was burglarized 3 times). I had a very small cabin built but nothing fancy. In the 16 years since it was built I haven't had a problem but that could certainly happen. I am on pretty good term with my neighbor whom I allow to hunt on my land. He lives on the adjoining 100+ acres and keeps an eye on things. If I buy another property, I will probably build a basic little stick-building without electric or water. I'll leave it unlocked (rather than have break ins) and bring a tent as backup. I'm talking about something about on par with a storage shed.

Last edited by Theeck; 12/03/20.