Yeah, not all of us who served went to Vietnam. I was about to get drafted in 68, ran and joined the USAF. Basic, then two months hold and OTS. Trained as a Weapons Controller. guided interceptors to target, or friendlies to airborne tankers. I was supposed to be in AWACS and with typical screw ups, could not pass flight physical due to severe allergies., so finally got reassigned as a Pharmacy Officer where I stayed. In my type of support job we took care of more dependents and retirees than active duty. Active duty liked to know that their dependents were cared for while they deployed away from home. Got married, and we went to Turkey 72-74, in support of one of the major NATO headquarters, the only reason I was there was because we had a couple of 4 star Army Generals there, most postings at a clinic/very small hospital like ours would have a senior NCO in charge of pharmacy. I did relieve personnel in a field hospital set up at Eglin AFB one day in 75 at one of the Vietnamese refugee tent cities, my only experience with the VIetnamese. Later got called up for Desert Storm and helped man a contingency hospital in the UK.While there we did supply support for a B 52 wing flying missions out of RAF Fairford against Iraqi troups in Kuwait. I'm probably one of the few of my generation who have seen American bombers over London headed east in harms way. We did get the opportunity to help load bombs one day, as we never got the anticipated causalities and were suffering from boredom.

Last edited by jkingrph; 01/01/21.