Same as Jim. Volunteer in '71. Vicious basic at Ord and AIT at Ft Sill where high test scores got me pulled from artillery and promoted to E4, acting E5. Regular army cadre with security clearance in all US draftee units filled with drug addicts, gang bangers, criminals, burn outs, and drunks awaiting less than honorable discharges. Twenty eight months in FROG, 3d ID. Three years of honorable service (my whole family served since WW1 and more) where I learned to never trust another human being for the rest of my life, including my superiors. (psychotic page long rant deleted) Details in text were too personal and don't help anyone. I saw the enemy and it was us.

M109 Palladins destroyed my hearing. I have a 100+ decibel high pitched screaming (9-10 KHz) in my ears since I was 20 and always feel like I'm on a rocking boat. I haven't slept much, maybe a couple of hours a night, in 50 years that followed. I never talk about my military experience or all the veteran nastiness after I ETS'd with anyone. I started to write some of it down here and deleted it. Can't keep a relationship even now. I'm honest but blunt, unpredictable, and in-your-face. I will say I hate nonsense, hippies, war protesters, liars, commies, draft dodgers, and the jerks who steal honor equally. I wouldn't wear the color green for the next 30 years. Ask me anything. I just nod and try to work up a smile... I'll never get to sit at the cool kids' table. Oh darn. And I hunt alone.

The HQ where I was stationed is now a shopping center.

Last edited by Gary_in_CA; 11/06/22.