Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
DGs and the other dollar stores are like the mini-big corporate Walmarts. Any mom and pop that is within a reasonable driving distance will be put out of business. The big box corps have replaced the small proprietorship LOCALLY OWNED that support rural local economies.

100% correct. I read a while back that DG with its sheer number of stores/purchasing power can leverage better wholesale retailer pricing than just about any store other than Walmart. Mom and pop stores don’t have a chance between the prices or number of employees it would take to track, order, and, inventory the number of items that a DG can stock in a small space all tracked and ordered from a central office.

I talked to some managers and They go through LOTS of inventory every week. The only thing it adds to local rural economies is the few low wage hires that work as cashiers and stock.
Since my family has run small proprietorships since the old coal mine company towns. They got out of those and set up shop with high risk and personal losses for decades before success came.
I try to see things from the perspective of individuals and communities, which is counter to the cheap conveniences that people destroy their own areas with.
It's caused young adult children to move far away, churches to close, and the interdependent local ecology/economies to turn to gt welfare instead of free enterprises. This has led small crime free neighborhoods to turn into rural "hoods" of drugs, whores, welfare and senior poverty as their wealth is taken for property taxes.

Breaks my heart.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 01/01/21.