Knees? Sure I have two, one's actually original parts! On two knees, I've had 5 surgeries: 3 meniscus repairs, osteotomy and replacement.

DO NOT GO OSTEOTOMY, that recovery made replacement seem like sitting and eating ice creme, 12 weeks on crutches!

My guess is your meniscus "edge" got stuck or folded and you popped it back in place. Where was the pain, inside the joint or outside?

As for replacement. I am of the view that they are AWESOME but only when you are at the right point. When you quality of life suffers due to knee pain and that pain keeps you from doing things, then consider it.

In my case, my knee is NOT back where it was 15 years ago. However 2 years ago, I couldn't go for a walk around the block without pain and needing ice. I couldn't stand still for more than 2 minutes, couldn't run, any level of walking HURT. I couldn't hike, hunt, ski, snowshoe etc.

got it replaced and now hike, hunt miles in a day in the mountains, snow shoe, golf, go for long walks, all pain free. Still have some flexibility issues and kneeling to play with my grandson, while doable isn't fun (but it's fun to crawl/chase him around).

When it's time, replacement is worth it, but not until then. You will know.