From what I've read - many hunters consider the big bores starting at 40 caliber. But I'd like to see someone shoot the 378 Weatherby off the bench all day and at the end of the day claim it isn't a big bore.

There certainly are opinions. In the book "Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges" the list of cartridges includes: 8mm to .600 Nitro.

In the book by Terry Wieland, "Dangerous-Game Rifles", Terry includes 405, 444, and 40-65 as big bore lever rifles. He also includes the 375 H&H in this book.

I think that besides the diameter of the bullet there are other things to consider. Would you consider a 40 S&W camp gun to be a big bore but the aforementioned 378 as a medium bore?

I have a few 458 caliber rifles and one 416. Is my 416 Rigby a medium bore and my 45-70 a big bore? How about the 45 Colt?

I know when I was young, I thought the 30-06 as being one of the "Big Bores". It was the largest cartridge I knew of.

As far as the 375 H&H being a big bore - answer me this, "What land animal is the 375 H&H deemed not capable?"

Last edited by Bugger; 01/25/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally