Although, I’ve mentioned earlier, that everyone has an opinion even writers. I consider the 375 H&H a great and capable cartridge, but I think it’s a “Medium Bore”. But it’s on the border of big bore.

But the “Conundrum” is, if 40+ is big bore, what is the 40 S&W camp gun? If 45 is the start of the big bore, what is the Rossi ‘92 in 45 Colt?

A 40+ diameter bore and 3,000+ Ft-lb muzzle energy is a definition that suites me. Or maybe just muzzle energy should be considered??? I’ve never owned a 378 Weatherby, but is this cartridge not in a “Big Bore” category?

Back in the day, of black powder, the puny 45 was in no way considered a “big bore”. In those days maybe something that was so many balls to the pound was the start of the “Big Bore” designation. A 45 caliber muzzle loader would not be considered something a hunter might choose to shoot a Cape Buffalo. It might not even made the “medium bore” category.

As bullets and powder have improved the designation of “Big Bore” has also moved.

In the end, the category of “Big Bore” is defined by the shooter.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/30/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally