I like several definitions and some are conflicting.

The book "Dangerous Game Rifles - Second Edition-" by Terry Wieland, Mr. Wieland had a wider definition of "Big Bore" cartridges than some of you. This book is a good read, by the way!

Included as "Big Bore" are cartridges in the lever rifles such as 444, 405, 45-70, 450 Marlin, and bigger.

In the bolt rifles the "Big Bore" cartridges include the 375 H&H with a muzzle energy of 4500 ft-lbs all the way up to the - 700 Nitro which is listed in the appendix as a muzzle energy of 8,900 ft-lbs and mentions the 700 H&H without noting muzzle energy, the 577 Tyrannosaur, the 585 GMA, 505 Gibbs (6256 ft-lbs), 600 Nitro (7,600 ft-lbs)

In my opinion, he didn't seem to like the 577 Tyrannosaur much, mainly due to excessive recoil and problems with feeding in the rifle the cartridge was in..

He covers quite a bit in this book, including the big black powder , the lever, the bolt, the doubles, and the single rifles.

From my personal experience:

My brother owned a bolt action 50 BMG and I thought that was a little much for anything I'd shoot. The 460 Weatherby without a muzzle break was as much as I thought was comfortable to shoot, but that was 40+ years ago. I doubt I would think the 460 is comfortable anymore even with a muzzle break. Getting long in the tooth makes one have a different view on some things.

Last edited by Bugger; 02/01/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally