Originally Posted by 158XTP
Another professionals opinion wink "Big bore hunting cartridges for the biggest wild game", no grey area there. Some very nice pics as well.

https://www.petersenshunting.com/ed...tridges-for-the-biggest-wild-game/271999

The .460 as it is very specialized cartridge and cannot be covered properly unless it has been handloaded, which is seldom the case in the commercial mags.
The 2600fps often quoted is easy, sand and cat poo will get that, not maximum and does not meet the factory marketing which was truthful and provable at 2700fps for the 500grainers and 8000fpe .
In fact, you can get there with both 500 grain and 600 grain bullets using 4350 with the 500's and either 4350 or 4831 with the 600's.

In the .460 I tried 13 bullets and 15 powders.
In the .458 I tried 18 bullets and about 15 powders plus some factory loads.

These cartridges are very flexible and cover the majority of hunting under 200 yards with longer shots more realistic once you learn the trajectories. Even the .458 has a point blank range of around 250 yards using the pointed 300gn Barnes TSX allowing a straight on hold.

Now, the unspoken, "thump". You can see it. The animals either drop cold where they stand or freeze up totally numb with a "hunch up" in almost slow motion. The last chew has ceased. Did a cull in the Cape Country before I left Oz on a million plus acre property. The house was 19 kilometers from the front gate. That is a hell of a driveway. We took out a .458 and .460 with orders to kill everything that eats grass or drinks water. Scrub bull, brumbies and pigs were the game. The pigs were the most aggressive and savage I had ever seen. Several dozen animals were taken. The .458 cartridges worked very well and culling provides are great opportunity to try different bullets and loads. We did.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.