I have thought about this a bit. I personally would not dial a scope and take a really long shot based on that because the tracking often seems to be a bit off. I saw a video posted on here recently about a 12-yr-old boy with his father’s guidance shot an elk from the prone position at about 1,350 yards, and it went down. Thing is it was his second shot. The father had dialed the scope, and the first shot went under the elk’s belly. So, he redialed it, and the boy shot it again—that time successfully. But the first shot easily could have ended up with a lost gut-shot elk. Not for me.

If I draw this year for the Colorado unit on which my property sits, I could see taking a shot out to 600 yds or so under the right conditions.

For example, in the first pic below, I am standing in a spot on my property where I have seen elk congregate. The top of the rock is about 600 yds away. That photo was shot looking E-W, the way the wind generally blows, so that shouldn’t be an issue. The second pick is the reverse view. My cabin is about 150 yds on the other side of that rock. If I’m laying on the rock with, say, my .340 Wby, which shoots three-shot groups inside of a dime; and if the wind isn’t doing something really weird; and I have a steady hold in the prone off of my bipod on the top of that rock; I know to shoot that rifle 9 MOA reticles high at that range and elevation. I easily would do that because no one is going to be able to sneak up on any elk across that meadow to get any closer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]