Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Some scopes track reliably, and some don't. If a guy is interested in LR hunting (not necessarily exclusively), it pays to figure out which models almost always track correctly, and then use one of those scopes. In the video you're referencing, the boy easily could have pulled the shot a bit, wind could have shifted, the wrong elevation could have been dialed for the first shot, etc, any of which could have caused the first shot to miss. I agree that it's a good idea not to dial scopes that don't have a reputation for tracking correctly (and/or are verified to not track correctly), but there are certain models of scopes that are nearly always mechanically very reliable.

Agreed. I'm not saying that other hunters don't have the right equipment and correct approach. I was just saying that "I personally would not dial a scope and take a really long shot based on that ..." I may or may not have a near-perfect tracking scope. But it just seems easier and more certain for what I have and do to aim a certain number of reticles higher.