Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Looking at energy charts for some high. BC, 100 gr bullets, I find that the energy listed at 600 yards is less than 2/3 the minimum recommended for elk. This is with a starting velocity of 3600 fps.

Make sure you correct for elevation, given that many people hunt elk at higher places.

For example, my 6.5-300 Wby launches a factory-loaded 130gr SS at 3,416 fps. At 700 yards: (1) at sea level, it's producing 1,488 ft-lbs, but (2) at 10,000 feet (which is the lowest elevation where I hunt elk and mule deer), it's producing 1,906 ft-lbs.

As a side note, the bullet also drops 8.5" fewer inches at 10,000 feet in the sky versus at sea level at 700 yds. That's a significant factor to keep in mind IMO.

Good info MH. How about shooting angles? Far less trajectory when shooting steep uphill or downhill. Something to keep in mind if you hunt steep terrain, seen alot of hunters shoot too high on steep downhill shots.

Something to keep in mind there are some real long range Pros on here like Huntsman 22, ScenarShooter, John Burns etc that kill big game at really long distances but they practice shooting mostly year around near the areas they hunt and invest in good equipment. How many out there devote that kind of dedication and have a similar backyard to practice in? Familiarity with your equipment under variable conditions is everything in LR hunting. And in some regions one better learn to shoot at LR, it's wide open country.