Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Long range hunting isn't anymore risky than archery.... funny part is archery hunters are revered in some circles as "real" hunters.

I don't really have a problem with bowhunting, as I was once an avid bowhunter, and have taken a number of deer with a bow. But, there is a part of bowhunting that I do have a problem with, and that is what we often see on the hunting shows..................

Guy hunting shoots a nice buck and buck runs off.
Hunter and cameraman "review" the film, declare that the buck was "hit a little too far back", which in redneck terms mean the deer was gut shot, and then decide to "back out of here" and come back in the morning.
Deer is found the next morning, and unfortunately the coyotes found it before the hunter did.
But, hunter still does high fives, thank's the Lord, and cries for the camera, declaring this is his best buck ever.
Meanwhile, all that's salvaged of the deer is the antlers.

Personally, I would never broadcast such an event for public viewing, as stuff like that only serves to give ammo for the anti-hunters. But, for some reason, there is an element in the archery hunting community that has no problem with it. Now, to be fair, as gut shot deer is a gut shot deer, regardless of what it's shot with. However, it is something we should all as hunters try to avoid doing, and if we do, not put it out there for the world to see.

I won't advocate salvaging antlers only, let alone filming the fiasco and making it into a hunting show, but plenty of rifle hunters do what you described too. Archers don't have a monopoly on that shïtshow.

In certain situations I feel it is the best move to back out and wait overnight, taking your chances with the coyotes. I've seen several wounded critters pushed onto private or a hellhole by folks pushing them. Gut/liver shot critters quite often bed down within a couple hundred yards and die overnight, if they're not pushed. It sucks, but at least you have a chance to find it and salvage things vs loosing it entirely to private land.