Originally Posted by T_Inman
I'd trust X percent of 700+ yard shooters to make a responsible shot that they're comfortable with, way more than X+ percent of regular Joes to make a responsible 200 yard shot. This includes a damn lot of folks on this site.

Call it shooting if you'd like, vs hunting. I don't have an issue with that but it isn't 100% irresponsible to take those longer shots.

I used to spend a lot of time at the range. In the few weeks before deer season there would be dozens of hunters out there that couldn't even get their own rifles on paper. I spent a lot of time helping them sight in their rifles and saw all kinds of crazy crap. Once sighted in many could still not hit the target at 100. I know several shooters I'd trust to make a 1000 yard shot before I'd trust these average guys to make a 100 yard shot.

Most long range hunters use softer high bc bullets. The bullets actually perform quite well at lower velocities and leave large wounds. I've seen game drop like lightning when hit with a 140 vldh 6.5mm bullet. The 215 Berger Hybrid target 308 bullet dropped my bull elk 3 years ago instantly. I've shot elk with accubonds and other bullets but never had one smacked instantly to the ground like that 215 Berger did. Even the 6mm 105 vldh does a quick number on deer. I've also used the 208 amax 308 bullet for a lightning kill and had good luck at range with the 7mm 162 amax. Last year it was a 108 eldm in a 6 Creedmoor that dropped my buck at around 450 yards.

Bb