Originally Posted by ironbender
Geno
Do you use lights to regulate the hens?

Nope. Au Naturele. (Or however it's spelled wink )

There's no power out where the Gulag is and no really easy way to get it there. I got these in 2018, so this was their second winter. Last one they seem to have laid much better over the winter. This time, basically zip production for a good month and a half.

They may have gotten busy when a few weeks ago I told them they were heading toward a stew pot soon, as I wanted some return on the feed investment.

Still making up my mind as to whether to start a replacement batch this spring or let them die out. I lost 2 of the 6 to predators last summer. Wife is not entirely fond of having to deal with them if I go on an away hunting trip or such. If I had a reliable source of "homegrown" eggs around here I'd likely give up on them and sell the coop. But I hate store bought eggs, well, more like I'm no fan of them.

Still deciding on trying to get a dozen or half dozen of those Freedom Rangers now that we have a chest freezer out in the garage. Learned my lesson on the big fat white fuggers, never again!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?