The big grocery store chain around here is Ingles. I shop there and it is a great store. There are at least 100 Ingles stores in several states.
Two months ago Ingles bigwig management decided to install a Starbucks in our local Ingles. They spent a lot of money, they remodeled the entrance and tore up the floor installing plumbing and wiring etc. They are soon going to build the Starbucks inside the grocery store.

I was talking to the assistant manager he says he has been mandated to hire 13 new employees and he just can't get the kids to hire on to work at Starbucks. This store is right next to the high school so a kid could get out of school at 3 and walk right over and work until 9 and his mom could come pick him up.
The assistant manager told me "The kids are afraid of work."

I don't know what the pay is. When I was in school I worked for 2 years at minimum wage as a bag boy at the local grocery store. I had 6 buddies from high school who worked at that same store and some of the girl students were cashiers there. Everybody I knew had a job in 12th grade.

I think the kids today are lacking a work ethic.