Originally Posted by buttstock
I guess the only best to objectively counter Petzal's list is to submit your own on this thread. I don't think he was too far off on many of his selections, and the "reasoning" was readable. Ok, how many use the 378 Weatherby??? In some ways, the entire list could be Weatherby cartridges, aside from the 300 Bee.

Make it easy and quick. Post YOUR top 3 over-rated cartridges: (no trolling allowed). We know the result a will offend others because it is subjective, but what the neck. Every cartridges has a niche ( A 45-70 can't compete with a 300 Win mag as a 400 yard elk rifle). Some cartridges just aren't popular ( you habe to be RATED to be considered OVER-RATED) .Fire away. Let's see how you do. T'aint so easy.

Top 3 overrated cartridges: (mine)
1. 357 mag. (give me a moderate-loaded 44 mag anytime)
2. 243 Win. (too big to be small, too small to be big. I'll take the man bun 6.5 CM instead)
3. 327 Mag (not really sure if it is "rated", but I don't get it none the less).

I'll play:
1) 17 HMR - too much for squirrels and not enough ass for groundhogs

2) 223 Remington - The 221 Fireball and 222 Remington can do anything it can do with lighter bullets with less powder and recoil. It does not have enough power to throw the heavier bullets. At best it's a compromise.

3) 243 Winchester - It's never been a consistently accurate cartridge for me. I have owned several and could never keep one. It is the inferior to the 6mm Remington.

I hope I make Petzal proud.