I could agree with many of over rated cartridges in Petzal's argument. However, his story about the 30 carbine caliber doesn't follow what a lot of people said about them. They were not a long distance rifle but did a lot up close if you could put the bullets were they were needed. My grandfather who was an engineer loved his more than his 1911 or his M1A 30/06. He had all three in his cat when he was unloading supplies. He also carried it when he was lumping a Browning Automatic Rifle that he carried with ammo and his pack in the battle of Luzon. He was one of two engineer operators who survived out of the five that were involved in unloading at Attu. He shot 10 off of the front of his cat. He never received a lot of recognition for his fight in the war but other people who were there talked about him and how for a smaller guy 5'7" and 170lbs that he was a freaking tiger. He was very intelligent and was the postmaster at Dutch Harbor when they were attacked. He took a BAR and put it up on the roof of the post office and shot down 10 zeros during the bombing of Dutch Harbor. He told us about it on his deathbed. However, my brother-in-law who is Alutiq told us of how the natives marvelled at the Postmaster at Dutch Harbor where they were gathered knocking down the Japanese Zeros. He loved the M1 Carbine because he could haul a lot of ammo and make it count.