Originally Posted by CTF
Bugger;
Does your rifle feed the 35 Whelen loaded ammo satisfactorily ?

It feeds Hornady Interlock 200 grain and 250 grain spitzer reliably. I will need to work on the left rail to get it to feed the blunt cast bullets that I use. (I don't know if I'll do that.) I'm planning on loading some round nose bullets to see if it will feed those OK. When the rifle was still a Brown Whelen the cartridge wouldn't even feed out of the magazine!

The problem now is the case is pushed to far to the right on the cartridges coming out of the magazine on the left side. This pushing the cartridge this way was the same problem I had with the 375 Whelen AI Mauser 98 I have. I had to modify the rails on the Mauser and now that feeds even empty cases (375 Whelen and 375 Whelen AI) with out a hitch.

I wonder what cartridge this 70 used originally (perhaps a shorter cartridge??) - I thought that it aught to feed all 35 Whelen loads without the need for spitzer bullets reliably.

I'm hoping for an elk cow license this fall, if I get one, I may be using this 35. I will be using it on a deer license this fall - I was hoping to do the deer in with cast bullets...

Last edited by Bugger; 06/18/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally