Originally Posted by CTF
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Now I am thinking of throating my .35 Brown Whelen with a scaled-down .458 Winchester Magnum throat, more like the throat on the 9.3x62mm Mauser.

Now that sounds like a good way to go.
Seems funny to me that the shoulder being moved forward , they short necked and short throated it. ?
Maybe they were trying to velocifial light weight 35 cal bullets.
Would be interesting to see what a full length case and a GREAT 458 Winchester Magnum style throat , would accomplish with a 280 gr Swift A Frame or 310 gr Woodliegh.

I could tell you what a 286 NP and a 320 Woodleigh can make from my 22.4" SAKO barrel in 9.3 x 62, but I'd have to publish it as does my friend for his various .35s as "experimental loads"! But truly, a standard 9.3 x 62 is the way to go if you want "improved" results from a cartridge similar to the .35 Whelen. Everything, including the Whelen, is dependant on the usual factors: COL, barrel length, cases and PSI. It's no problem for my 9.3 x 62 to "make" well over 2400 fps from the 320gr Woodleigh using RL-17, not at CIP standards but at a longer COL and higher (but safe) PSI. (And I've owned a couple of .35 Whelens)

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus