Originally Posted by Jeffrey
My buddies and I are going on our second elk hunt this fall in Montana. We went with a guide last fall to get a feel for it and had a great time. This time around we will be doing it ourselves and staying a bit longer. Last time was a five day hunt, this time we are planning for a full week of hunting. Like last time, we are renting a house to come back to in the evening but, I and one of my buddies are preparing for spending a night or two out in the field if we think it will improve our odds of success. My other buddy is being reluctant. He is saying we are going to
freeze and that elk move too much for it to make sense.

Our line of thinking is that if we find a herd or some bulls that we want to go after late in the day, we would be better off staying in the field for the evening rather than hiking back to the truck and driving back to the house for the night. What do those of you with experience think? This will be Bitterroot MT in November, so we know there could be lots of snow, rain and freezing temps. My one friend that is on my side and I are open to buying a quality tent and sleeping bag for the event. We’ll probably just eat MREs and forego and type of stove or anything like that.

May I ask (roughly) where you're planning to go? The Bitterroot is a long valley. Some trailheads are near densely populated areas and others are a fair drive from town, though there are some lodges randomly scattered around the valley. I think the Sapphires generally has better hunting than the Bitterroots, though the scenery isn't as good.