Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
When y’all say stove, are y’all talking about the little butane jobs that you use to heat up food or water in a little pot? Thanks everyone!

No.A wood burning stove capable of heating the tent.I heartily suggest you get a little bit more experience before you undertake a hunt that you are proposing.

Thanks, Saddlesore . I appreciate the sage advice.

I’m aware of the wall tents and wood burning stoves and know that’s one way to do it. I have tent camped here in Texas in freezing weather. Am I ignorant in thinking that a good cold weather sleeping bag and quality tent to keep us out of the rain or snow would be sufficient?

The goal isn’t to set up a camp for the entire hunt. We will likely be spending most nights in a house. The purpose of any nights in the field would be to stay on top of the elk and have an early crack at them when the sun comes up.

If you were in the Marines, you'd know what type of surplus sleeping bag and cover to pick up at a Army Navy Surplus Store... Done a lot of winter camping in my days, and pretty much always used surplus military stuff...I had a 1947 made Army Sleeping Bag and cover I used from aged 14 until it fell apart and I junked it in my early 40s. Got it from my dad's mobility bag in 1966 ( Air Force Dependent). Its hard to commercially find Sleeping Bags as good as military winter bags...got several now, that are Arctic Bags, I think I picked up for like $75. I've gotten hot in them and used them like a blanket at zero degrees...

a set of Mickey Mouse Boots wouldn't be a bad thing to look out for also.

By the way, I was trained for field duty in Arctic Environments in the Army, for being assigned to both attached to a combat grunt unit, and also in setting up and Running a MASH unit in Arctic Environments also...( so more than just an Air Force Dependent) and dad was a Marine for 10 years, and after becoming a pilot in his later Marine Career, he transferred to the Air Force and did another 16 years as a Pilot there, then 22 years with the State Dept.
.Wouldn't know it nowadays tho, he's 90 and living in an Assisted Living since Mom died back in 2019.

Last edited by Seafire; 07/08/21.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez