Originally Posted by Jeffrey
How do you guys go about procuring or making water while you are out? I have used the sanitation/filter straws in the past and would have no problem pulling water from a creek and doing that. But how about boiling water or melting snow? What kinds of camp wares (pots, kettles, etc..) do you use? I would think a campfire percolator would work well, but I’m wondering if there are less bulky alternatives that are better suited to backpacking that I’m not aware of.

Of course the filter idea would be my first choice, but that’s assuming we are near running water that doesn’t need to be melted or thawed.

As far as cooking food goes, we will be keeping that part simple with MREs.

A few thoughts and bear in mind I grew up just north of where you're going.

The area generally doesn't have real high peaks, so any snow you may get into will be fresh snow that recently fell, unless you're on top of Trapper Peak or something like that so I wouldn't count on any kind of snowpack to use for water, unless you're there in late November. You'll often be fairly close to creeks that you can filter from (Katadyn or MSR are what I like...boiling snow in a jetboil or similar stove works but I prefer to filter it). I used to drink directly from creeks all the time and still do some, but have heard enough horror stories about girardia that I now try to filter it if at all possible. If you do drink it straight, avoid stagnate water and bigger creeks. The smaller, the better. Headwater springs I have read are the best, but that is just what I have read.

Since you're thinking of making a scouting trip, you may consider packing in some gallon jugs and cache it. I used to do it all the time in Wyoming when scouting for mule deer. The danger here is, you never know where elk may lead you so this is often a better option once you know an area, and know where the elk tend to hang out. You also better get it out or else it is littering. It is an option though.

MREs are heavy. You should know that. Take that for what it is worth.