Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by Brad
If you're rifle hunting elk here in Montana, you're October 24 - November 29. With the exception of a couple wilderness areas, there is no "early" rifle season like in Colorado and other states.

A bit of a tempest in a teapot from some on this thread. This isn't an ascent of K2. They're not going that far in and the guys are ex-Marines. They'll figure it out.

No such thing as an ex-Marine, Brad. wink

I think we’ll be fine too. I just think my one buddy is getting a little soft on us! It could be a result of a winter deployment to Afghanistan where he got to spend a lot of cold nights in a tent. It’s also probably a matter of not having backpack camping experience, but as you said, we will figure that part out. We will have food, shelter and clothing. Like you said, there is plenty of dead wood in the areas we will be hunting. Starting a fire each night won’t be a problem.
If anything, I am sure we will overpack, yet still discover there are some things we won’t have that would be nice. Either way, we are excited and looking forward to our trip. We’re putting together a summer scouting trip as we speak, as of this morning.

LOL, true on the "ex-Marine." My FIL was a Marine and made multiple Pacific landings in WWII (forward gunnery observer) until he finally got wounded on Peleliu. He was a Marine until he died.

You'll have a great time, and I'm looking forward to your trip report!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery