My old man was very knowledgeable about military rifles. He was also a tremendously good shot, and several people saw him do things like wingshooting ducks with a .22, which he did more than once or twice. He also had done well in competition, both rifle and pistol, but had given that away before I started shooting. He had done a lot of small game hunting and duckshooting, but had largely given those away before I started shooting too. Most of what I learned about hunting or the finer points of marksmanship I learned from other family members.

Apart from his interest in military rifles he wasn't really a "gun guy" either. He'd never had any interest in handloading, or ballistics, or scopes or anything like that. In fact he never had a scoped rifle - seeing him shoot with irons he had no real need of one. We always had several guns in the house though, and he would often impulse buy something - usually a .22 - and then after giving it a bit of use it would often get handed off to someone else (me, if I was lucky). He was also happy enough to go with me to gunshops or gunshows when I was a kid, to be the responsible adult if I wanted to buy something.