Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by pete53
also my father did youth gun safety in a school for fun so we got to shoot plenty. our favorite past time in the spring and summer was shooting rats at the dump sure we had to clean up a truck load of garbage or tree limbs at our house ,uncle`s or grandparents but they all supplied us with 22 ammo to shoot rats at the dump ! now days there are no dumps but man that was fun shoot`n those rats !

Those were the days. My bud and I as teens would go to the city dump at night and shoot rats. We each had a Nylon 66 and took lots of ammo. We'd fire up our headlights, empty the rifles, turn off the lights, reload in the dark. With the lights out, we could hear the rats start moving again. It was nothing for each of us to shoot a brick of .22 LR HP's. We killed a lot of rats. No way could that be done today.

DF

It was a big sport for us in HS as we did the same. We taped flashlights to our .22’s also. It was actually kind of eerie as the whole dump started moving in the dark and you’d even hear the tinkling of cans as the rats moved about. It could almost give a guy a case of the heebie jeebies. 😀