When I started hunting we had 3 rifles that belonged to my grandfather: a model 94 in 30-30 with a side mounted scope, a model 99 in 300 Savage with a scope, and a k98 in 8x57. The way it worked out was I got the 30-30 because it didn't recoil much, my grandfather got the 300 Savage because he was up in years and needed the scope and my dad took the 8x57 with open sights.

After a year or two my dad had a smith rework the bolt on the model 98 and had a scope installed on it. I hated that 30-30. We hunted with my uncle and my two cousins. My uncle was the looney. The first year we all went was his return to the woods after not hunting for 10-15 years. His oldest used his 760 in 30-06 and I forget what he took that year. After that he took a liking to the Browning A-bolt's and Sako's and they all had one or two. I still had my 30-30. When I was 16 I saved up enough money and bought a model 70 classic stainless in 7mm rem mag with the BOSS system. My uncle tried to talk me into buying a Browning but I was sold on the CRF of the model 70. A little overkill for the woods of PA but I wanted a bolt action like my uncle and cousins and after pouring over ballistics charts and reloading manuals I decided on the 7MM. I killed my first deer with that very rifle.

I hated the 30-30 because I wasn't a good shot with it. Part of it probably was because I was a 12 year old kid and it didn't fit quite right. The other issue I think was the offset scope with the thin buttstock. It was nearly impossible to get a good cheek weld but I didn't understand that that was the issue at 12. I blamed the gun.

I bought one or two more rifles in my 20's when I hit 30 things got out of hand. I got a new job with a nice raise and a lot of overtime. That's when the loonyism hit full force.

My dad was more of a gun as a tool guy. I blame my uncle, those reloading manuals, and all of the outdoor magazines I read in my youth.