I hate to say it, too, but I have had both, and currently have 4 Portuguese-made model 70s (2 Super Grades, 1 Featherweight, 1 Alaskan). The Portuguese made guns are the best rifles to ever carry the name Model 70. Accuracy is fantastic, triggers are exceptional, and fit and finish was better than any US made M70 I've ever owned or seen. They are at least as good, and in some ways better, than any other M70 produced anywhere at any time.

I love pre-64 M70s. Heck, I even liked my post-64 M70 push feed, which I think was better than my Remington 700 BDLs. (Wish I still had that post-64.) But I think the only reason to take a US-made pre-64 over one of the Portuguese-made M70s is nostalgia. Nostalgia has value so it's a valid reason. But the Portuguese guns are by and large better.

Browning taking over production of Winchester guns is the best thing that has happened to them in a very long time. FN Herstal owning and controlling all of it doesn't hurt either.

My newest M70, a Super Grade .30-06, which now wears a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10X in Talley Rings.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/07/21.