Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by iskra
Certainly nothing to be ashamed of in that beauty, Herr Glock! From the days of the Model 54, believe 1934 forward, the Wincher bolt rifles with essentially the stocks (such as cheekpieces/butt drop angle, checkering pattern excepted), much the same. Only a few of the very early nineties SG labeled models without such as the black forend tip & SG swivels something of a dip. Otherwise, seems the SG image largely sustained! My .338 Win from '93 has tiger striping & quite nice. My 338 Win vintage 1960 also a beauty, with the more traditional pre '64 cheekpiece. Happy for the few I own!

As far as Browning parent. I can't particularly comment beyond generalization. I do understand their main focus nowadays, armaments. On wider scale, so many of the old quality names are now in Chinese inventory. Some of them good/great products, too many others... Not. I tend not to identify by brands in many such instances. With Winchesters, the only truly dark period in early '64+ era with material 'hit' to the brand. The Model 70... What to say! Pretty terrible. Their lever group finish pretty poor and only a bit better across the better part of two decades!

I've generally stuck to the older Winchesters, as many other brands. But SG's like the above, a definite lure!

Just my take!
Best!
John

Browning really wanted to make a show with their 2008 limited edition fwt. That was the best BACO in my honest opinion:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
After my gunsmith screwed an EW barrel on it. ^^^^

They were the sweetest BACO made. Many of us were so happy that the model 70 was being brought back, we didn't care by who. At first it was FN who was involved and that was a great thing, as most of us know FN was putting out some excellent chidt at that time, but mostly military contract stuff. My FN PBR XP was one of them. A highly fine tuned classic model 70, that FN was responsible for:
The accuracy was insane and the function was second to none. One hell of a fine piece of equipment, much like the first BACO's to leave the factory. Those were the 2008 models. Guys like 79s say the Portuguese model 70's are better in every way, but not better than the first model 70's BACO produced. At that time, they were proud to be bringing the infamous model 70 back and they took more time to make them right.

I own 1 BACO made model 70 and it’s a South Carolina made rifle, the early ones still used leftover parts from new Haven I think the first ones like you had all still had Williams bottom metal. The FN plant is South Carolina was never intended to build sporting rifles. It’s purpose is to provide weapons to the military. The 240B along with m16 and m4 are made there. Also baco has control over the stocks since the stock making operation for BACO is located In Portugal. Anyhow enough of that. I consider some of the best made model 70’s besides pre64’s are the 5 digit classics now you talk about fit and finish.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.