I recently had a long conversation with my friend's 10 year old son while he was sitting in my UTV about 2 weeks ago. We ran across them on their way to go fishing at a little pond back in the woods.

The boy talked to me about the turkey he got this spring and then got his father's phone and showed me some pictures of it. We also talked about last deer season and plans for this coming season. He too shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor and his manhood doesn't appear to be threatened in the least.

Last fall, a few mornings before school started (he was 9), we would sneak out with a 410 and killed a few doves and a squirrel at the bird feeder behind the house. He skinned the squirrel and breasted the doves and gave them to his mom and said he wanted them for dinner when he came home from school.

Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith never came up in our conversation, or walnut stocked guns and Blackjack gum. Just a good conversation with an all American boy, doing all American things, telling me HIS story and not the stories of someone in print.

After talking with him for about 45 minutes, he grabbed his fishing rod joined mom at the pond to fish.

You couldn't ask for better.