Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by kwg020
You guys are right, too many variables. I have to come up with a better plan. I don't have a chrono so there is no checking speed. As for the wind and the flag, I did the best I could with what I had. I was using a club range so there was no setting it up to my liking. Since I was by myself I didn't have someone to check the wind for me. This is a low budget project with limited resources. I'm doing the best I can with what I have. The results may be inconclusive .

kwg

I can’t cure your lack of chronograph but with the wind flags there are alternatives.
1. Get or make a 24-36” garden stake. Around here the plastic ones go for about 2 bucks.
2. Surveyors tape any color. Price on that has jumped quite a bit since I bought. About 7 bucks for 100 ft.
3. Tie a 1.5 - 2ft. Piece of tape to the stake or whatever length you want. Place the stake in a position and height where you can see it through the scope but doesn’t obscure your target. You now have a crude but visible wind flag. Make up different heights or as many as you want and place them at different yardages. Crude but effective.

I can’t help with the stakes but if needed send me your address by PM and I will send you a roll of surveyors tape at no cost to you.
Again I applaud your efforts but you gotta understand that we can be a very critical audience.

Hello Swifty
I can come up with something to hang next to my target when I go out the next time to check the wind. Our range faces due east and the last time I shot we had a strong wind out of the south. We also have a burm on the south edge of the range and the wind does all kinds of weird things once it clears the burm. It is what it is. I didn't expect MOA accuracy with the way the wind was blowing and I sure as heck didn't get it. A chrono would be nice but I have other needs for the cash. It's just a little further down the list of "must haves". The new radar chrono's have really gotten my attention but the money is not there.

When I started this my primary learning concern was; is pressure coming back through the primer hole ?. I have noticed that the CCI 400's seem to have either a softer or thinner cup than the CCI 450's and the Federal Match primers I have been shooting. I punctured 3 primers the last time I was out with the CCI 400's. I have punctured some on other rifles in the past. That is why I don't have but just a few left. I don't trust them especially with fast burning powder. When I get done with this batch I will go to the Winchester small rifle primers and pretty much start over. I should have some of the bugs (variables) worked out of the process by then.

Accuracy was and is my secondary concern but I am interested in seeing if there is an improvement. If I start puncturing primers with the .086 holed brass I'll stop post haste before I break something. If I don't break anything I'll try a slightly larger hole. I don't know if I will reach a 3mm hole. That's a pretty big hole. The study as presented by NVhnter claims up to a 28% improvement in accuracy. That's a huge claim but he had several learned fellows guiding him through the project so I am not going to doubt his word. I would settle for just a fraction of that percent.

I'm scrounging through my brass now to find something that is all matching so I can eliminate the brass variable. As for primers, during times like this CCI 400's may be the only thing on the shelf. I want to know what their limitations are and what I can do to mitigate the limitations. The other learning objective is, am I wasting my time making the holes in brass uniform in size?? Based on what I read above some folks apparently think it's worth the time and others are not doing it. We shall see.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 09/19/21.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.