Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I hunted a fenced place in Georgia. 800 acres.
2 mornings, 2 evenings.
Saw the fence going in, and out.
Once being taken to a stand.
The fence played no part in the hunt.

LOL. OK.

I've actually been to a place like this - just a few acres less than what you experienced.
I coordinated the event for my 42 y/o terminally-ill best friend on what would be his last foray in the outdoors.

When we all got situated in the huge box blind, the truck drove away and on the way out, operated the feed-flinger on the tailgate. Twenty minutes later, out of the heavy cover and through the snow-covered rolling hardwoods, a parade of bucks appeared - first in line was a 220"-ish specimen, followed by a 180" deer and so on. Eventually, 11 in all in the meadow in front of us.

I discussed and confirmed (with the host) the buck that'd meet the 4-5k mark, woke my bud who'd already nodded off and got the rifle into place for him. After what seemed like an eternity, he finally managed to hit the trigger and the 160" "trophy" was his. He died 6 days later.

Surrounded by miles of ground that get heavily hunted that fence had EVERYTHING to do with what happened on that outing.

To this day I'm still terribly conflicted over what transpired that day even though I accompanied my best friend on his final outing and he got his wish of shooting the biggest buck he'd ever killed. But it damned sure wasn't a hunt.

That was a great thing you did for your buddy.

Absolutely. I see no reason at all to feel conflicted. Time in the woods with a buddy and a rifle for someone with less than a week to live. You take whatever opportunity that you can make happen.