Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by LJB
To add to my last post. The diopter problems and the Beta (maybe even a little below Beta) glass eliminate the Sig BDX3000 from field use for me. Even though the firmware/software implementation is light years ahead of the Leica. On the other hand, the Alpha level optics and the workable ballistics solutions, infuriating U/I notwithstanding, on the Leica do make them usable on serious hunts.

Thanks LJB, couldn't agree more, and that is the reason I'm considering Leica. I spend lots of time glassing with a tripod mounted bino, and the Geovid glass will easily allow me to do that.

The Leica's are a pleasure the look through, that's for sure. They would do just fine on a tripod for extended glassing sessions. For that matter, they'd be great for prairie dog or rock chuck shoots when paired with the Kestrel Elite. BTW, looks like the bluetooth connectivity issues with the 3200,com and Kestrel have been fixed with the latest Kestrel firmware. I say "looks like" because I've only had one serious range session with the two paired, but I was pleasantly surprised they (both the Kestrel and the 3200.com) worked so well. The 3200.com battery went kaput during the session so I suspect the bluetooth/firmware load is significant. Which, if true, means the unit bluetooth would have to be turned on/off in the field to conserve battery power and that brings the user back to the clunky U/I. Again, a showstopper for serious field use (mule deer, elk, and what not). To be fair to Leica though, it does appear the initial bluetooth issue I griped about was fixed on the Kestrel side. I don't have the Kestrel in front of me right now so I can't quote the firmware revision needed.

The Leica 3200.com could be a great piece of kit, but it would take a COMPLETE app/firmware rewrite to make it so. It is terrible. Based on my past dealings with German optics companies, and careful to be culturally respectful, the hard part of getting any improvement to happen is convincing them they have a problem in the first place.