Prayers sent... I've watched several friends go through this with their parents and it made me feel so fortunate that I didn't have to deal with it with my folks. Both were very lucid and reasonably active right up to the end. Same with my in-laws...

My buddy's mother bit a couple of her caregivers at a rest home, then tried to hit another one with an old style corded phone. He was beside himself how to deal with it but he persisted until the end with only a few breaks from his brothers....

Find some way to get some time off from the responsibility or it will destroy you. Some states have departments for the aging where you might be able to get a caregiver to come in a couple times a week so you can get some time off and unwind from the pressure.... it would be worthwhile to make a few phone calls to see what is available in your state.... As a last resort there are a lot of medications available these days to help to keep him calm and cooperative, but they also have other side effects.....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.