Originally Posted by leomort
For you more experience reloaders, how do you go about calculating how to stockpile for your needs? Trying to get a better understanding of your logic and numbers.

For example I must be something wrong. I use to shoot about 3,000 round of 9mm/year between me and my wife. So I'd order sleeve (5,000) pistol primers. As I got close to my year consumption, I'd order another sleeve. This way I'd always have about ~2,000 primers in reserve. Obviously, I did it wrong because I got caught short. What should I be doing? Always have 5k small pistol primers in reserve? Or more like a three year reserve supply, so like 15k small pistol primers? Is that what you guys do? Thanks for your help!

It all depends on how much you shoot. I probably shoot 3 or 4 times the 9mm rounds that you do annually, but that has been reduced somewhat during the current shortage. I like to have at least 25,000 small pistol primers in stock and I might revise that upwards after the current shortages.

I don't shoot as many rifle rounds but I like to have 10,000+ of different types on hand. I might increase that as well.

The same approach applies to bullets and powder although they are easier to obtain and I have larger supplies of those.