So, basically, a used, surplus trainer from the CMP allows for cheap, effective offhand practice.

CMP Sporter air rifles

In case anyone was, you know, still posting about cheap, effective OFFHAND practice.

Now we can all anxiously await sticks irrelevant mail call pics. Probably got a new tripod for shooting offhand......

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I am throwing in my two cents early since I know a bit about these air rifles. The CMP is selling Daisy 853/753 SSP's (Single Stroke Pneumatics). They're not powerful, but they'll shoot 10's on the 10 meter air rifle targets (a 10 is 1/2mm or about the size of a period in a newspaper article). These rifles are surplus off the JROTC programs who upgraded to Crosman Challengers. I coach a junior team and we still start new shooters on these rifles. It's not uncommon that our kids will shoot in the 80's offhand, through the irons with these. They're also shooting prone and kneeling with a sling. Upper 90's prone and upper 80's kneeling is a decent day for most of the first year kids.

If anyone is interested in getting one of the CMP Surplus Daisy's (best deal ever in an affordable marksmanship practice rifle), hit me up and I'll make a couple of recommendations to make them even a bit more shootable. The division these rifles are shot in is called "Sporter Air Rifle". In a couple of months we'll be rolling into Precision Air Rifle where they'll be shooting rifles with names like Anschutz, FWB and Walther. The FWB 300S doesn't even make the bottom rung here.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/23/21.