Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, LB is a troll.

But can't resist noting that I have killed quite a bit of big game with the .300 WSM, starting even before it was officially introduced, from pronghorns to a 6x7 bull elk, and been right next to other hunters who shot a similar array of big game with it, both in North America and Africa. Aside from "field-testing" various .300 WSM rifles from different companies, have owned several, including one Winchester Model 70 assembled in Portugal, purchased at a local gun store several years ago, primarily to see how it worked. It worked fine--and I kept it for several years, mostly to have a .300 WSM on hand to "test" factory ammo and handloads.

What I "discovered" during all this hunting and shooting is the .300 WSM gets about 150-200 fps more with bullets from 165-200 grains than the .30-06, from the same length barrel, using the latest handloads--despite the .300 WSM's SAAMI pressure being higher. This means less than a 100-yard "advantage" in terminal velocity at typical hunting ranges when using the same bullet, and even less at 300+ yards--which is one reason field results were similar to the .30-06. (The other reason, of course, is that there ain't much difference in a wide array of cartridges when used with good bullets on big game.)

The big difference I could see in the .300 WSM was more recoil, and more expensive and often harder to find ammo and brass. Which is why I finally ended up selling my Model 70 .300 WSM earlier this year, one of the first rifles I purged from the collection as I started down-sizing toward semi-retirement. Guess I'll just have to struggle along with my NULA .30-06....

Poor MD, I can't imagine the struggle with a NULA. Someday....