Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
It is worse at killing big game than many other cartridges. It requires a heavier rifle, has less range, reloads worse, and is inherently less accurate. And offers nothing in return of any value.

Worse as in how? I have used the 30-06 on all of the lower 48 game animals except grizzly and moose. I used it on more Elk than any other cartridge at short range and as far as 450 yards. I have also killed elk with 270, 7MM RM, 300 WM and 338 WM rifles. One of the elk killed with the 338 traveled farther than any shot with the others by far. I believe you are just another dumbass.

Just for fun I looked through my hunting notes and came up with the following list of animals taken with various .30-06s, plus Eileen's total. She used to use it quite a bit as her "big" cartridge when hunting stuff that might be a little out of the class of smaller cartridges, or when hunting in potential grizzly country:

Pronghorns
Whitetails (in Montana etc.
Mule deer
Elk (have killed more with .30-06 than any other cartridge, including my biggest bull—which didn’t go as as those lung-shot with the .300 Winchester and Weatherby Magnums)
Black bear
Caribou (my longest shot and biggest bull)
Red stag, both in Europe and New Zealand
Numerous feral goats and pigs (both are considered among the toughest big game animals of their size)
Springbok
Bushbuck
Kudu (my second-longest shot in Africa, 360 yards up a mountain, which dropped when hit doe to the 180 Nosler Partition breaking the downhill leg and then then spine)

Eileen:
Bighorn sheep (hunting in grizzly country)
Black bear
Gemsbok
Kudu
Red hartebeest
Blue wildebeest
(These four African animals are considered among the tougher to bring down.)

Have also had around a dozen companions use the .30-06 when hunting in various places from Africa to Alaska, and none had any trouble killing a similar list of animals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck