Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Starbuck
They may well be great optics. But you do have to admit that, given where they're made, a name like German Precision Optics does have an Orewellian doublespeak quality to it. At the very least, it's reminiscent of a vehicle, real estate, or infomercial salesman saying whatever they can to get you to buy. Clearly it's a marketing schtick. Personally, I haven't had the best luck with Swaro in the past, so it's probably for the best that they're likely peddling similar Asiatic designs and componentry as many other brands that have a reputation for toughness.

So many optics companies these days spew the same hackneyed assertions of how their products are diametrically different than other brands that rolled out of the same factory because of higher QC, or engineering, or specs, etc, etc, etc. I find it difficult to believe that these optics factories are actually manufacturing that many different sets of erector parts, tubes, and lenses. There'd be no economy of scale, which would defeat the purpose of having your scopes mass produced offshore in the first place.

I'd like to see someone get their shipment of scopes off the slow boat from China and openly market them as such.You could come up with a ton of pithy slogans to make your brand memorable. Something like "Chicom Optics - We know you'd rather not, but likely will anyway".

Maybe such honesty would resonate with buyers.

Scopes are designed either in Germany or the US and get manufactured in Japan or China according to specs given to OEM suppliers. What exactly is dishonest about that?

link to what they do

It's not technically dishonest. And as far as I know, they're not trying to hide the coo. But it is at least a little deliberately misleading that a company named German Precision Optics offers only Asiatic product. German Inspired Optics might be more appropriate.

As far as each optics brand independently "engineering" or "designing" or "specifying" completely disparate components from their competitors, I highly doubt that is how it goes. There just isn't enough volume for each brand to spec completely different componentry than other units made in the same factories. You get to pick the name that's roll stamped or printed on it and the CS that brand offers. But, if people want to believe that thier optics were engineered by former special forces members from Montana who are now hunting guides with PHd's in various optics related fields and are, therefore, completely different and much better than another brand that rolled off the same production lines, more power to them.

Last edited by Starbuck; 11/02/21.