Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Starbuck
They may well be great optics. But you do have to admit that, given where they're made, a name like German Precision Optics does have an Orewellian doublespeak quality to it. At the very least, it's reminiscent of a vehicle, real estate, or infomercial salesman saying whatever they can to get you to buy. Clearly it's a marketing schtick. Personally, I haven't had the best luck with Swaro in the past, so it's probably for the best that they're likely peddling similar Asiatic designs and componentry as many other brands that have a reputation for toughness.

So many optics companies these days spew the same hackneyed assertions of how their products are diametrically different than other brands that rolled out of the same factory because of higher QC, or engineering, or specs, etc, etc, etc. I find it difficult to believe that these optics factories are actually manufacturing that many different sets of erector parts, tubes, and lenses. There'd be no economy of scale, which would defeat the purpose of having your scopes mass produced offshore in the first place.

I'd like to see someone get their shipment of scopes off the slow boat from China and openly market them as such.You could come up with a ton of pithy slogans to make your brand memorable. Something like "Chicom Optics - We know you'd rather not, but likely will anyway".

Maybe such honesty would resonate with buyers.

Scopes are designed either in Germany or the US and get manufactured in Japan or China according to specs given to OEM suppliers. What exactly is dishonest about that?

link to what they do

Why would designed here, but built there be a selling point? Why would I care about what desk the engineer was sitting at? China is all about quantity over quality. That's not even debatable.