F
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Never had country ham. I suspect its probably a lot like what my great Grand parents on the Drewniak side would make.

Looked at a place called Benton's country ham. They are 80 bucks or so. Not sure if that includes shipping.

Do the locals in Country Ham country eat a lot of this stuff? Can you get it much cheaper than that?

Is it considered a delicacy?

The mass produced hams we get are under 2 bucks a pound.

Just curious.

Basically, if you like cured smoked bacon, odds you'll most likely like country cured ham, too, but would probably be best if you (and family) tried a little first before buying a whole ham. It is sold prepackaged under a good many different commercial brand names in various portion sizes and quantities, like 'ham steaks', 'biscuit' cuts, 'seasoning' cuts, etc. If you like it well enough to buy a whole one, unless you have access to commercial grade meat slicer / band saw, I'd strongly recommend buying it already sliced. Also, unless you're a salt freak I'd also strongly suggest you at least rinse off slices well before frying or adding to other dishes as seasoning. Frying it in a little Cola is pretty tasty as well, too. I generally buy it in prepackaged 'biscuit' cuts and eat it fried in a little cola or Dr. Pepper type soda then eat it on biscuits. Sometimes I sop the biscuit halves in the leftover pan drippings. DO NOT over cook...