Nothing finer than a slice of country ham, 2 eggs over medium and a plate of grits with red eye gravy for breakfast. It also makes a fine sandwich on toast with mayo and a thin slice of tomato.
This past May, I was in Richmond VA, for my daughter's wedding. After the wedding, I spent about 3 weeks at home in the Wilmington, NC area. While I was there, I gorged myself on seafood, barbecue pork sandwiches and country ham breakfasts.
When I headed out on the drive back to ND, I had 2 gallons of freshly shucked oysters, packed in ice, in the trunk of the car. Just outside the town of Maxton, NC, I stopped at this little fruit stand, I had been doing business with for more than 20 yrs. and loaded up on boiled peanuts and country ham.
The boiled peanuts lasted me almost all the way back to Williston, ND and I divided the oysters and ham with a Sioux friend of mine who lives out on the prairie, northeast of Poplar, MT.
I'm still eating on the country ham. I save it for special occasions, when I can sit down and savor it.