Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Some of us do have wives and kids in the house and neighbors who are close.

Most interior walls in the USA are 2 sheets of drywall and 3 3/4 inches of air and won't reliably stop any round suitable for defense.

Plan accordingly for home defense.

Being able to engage the home invasion crew trying to breach the front door before they actually breach the door might be handy at times.

You have always been one of the better posters here and this is not a bash or slam.

Just discussing the pros and cons of ammo for home defense.

John,
As usual, I'm not thinking in terms of absolutes, just things that may mitigate risks in the scenario's I'm more likely to face. Notice I didn't say my ammo choice would eliminate the risks, just mitigate them. From my bedroom, the kids are typically behind at least 4 sheet of sheet rock, or a sheet rock and a couple of sheets of OSB. Additionally, I don't live in a sterile sheet rock shoot house, I live in a home, with book cases, closets full of cloths, furniture, appliances, electronics, etc. There's a lot more than just sheetrock a bullet may encounter.

Neighbor are typically behind at least two external walls and various numbers of internal walls, and maybe a fence.

Of course there's also a chance any round into an internal wall might hit a stud. Those odds can be better that 1/8 depending on the angle of entry.

There's also multiple fields of fire where I'd have a earth or concrete backstops. On such a bad day they would be idea, but there no guarantee those are the shots that would present themselves.

On thing I didn't mention above was filing cabinets. Once upon a time, many years ago, after showing his 22-250 to the neighbors he pointed it toward the corner and pulled the trigger. Well, he dropped the rounds out of the magazine but failed to run the bolt, and put a 52gr hollow point into the filing cabinet. Good think he didn't get audited after that, bullet was stopped by about 20 years of tax returns. No walls were harmed.

Bottom line is, when facing a home invasion, don't expect the fight you planned for, you'll get the fight ya get, and each of us has to evaluate our own relative risks and do our best to mitigate them. Your situation, and therefore your risks are different than mine, so our solutions might be different.

Hopefully neither of us has the occasion to test our home defense ammo choices, but it's good carefully consider such things, just in case.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell